Pages

Monday 4 November 2013

Review: The Fabulous Phartlehorn Affair by M.L. Peel


Bruno Pockley has a talent. A prodigious talent. But he's only just discovering its worth... When Bruno is sniffed out by a specially trained Trumpenhund as having world-class phartling potential, it's as if all his dreams have come true. Finally, his talent is being recognized! Then he and his classmates are taken to the court of the Knights Trumplar in the Kingdom of Phartesia, where they'll learn to play the ancient Phartlehorn for a performance of epic proportions. Starry-eyed, the children are determined to prove themselves to the magnificent Duke of Phartesia and his beguiling daughter. However, things are not always as they appear - and when Bruno and his friend Grace stumble upon the sickening truth about the Knights Trumplar, the wind is quite literally taken out of their sails.

This is the first book in Under 14s Only Month that has a plot which relies heavily on a certain bodily function (the clue is in the title), but it certainly won't be the last. Sadly, I think there is an assumption amongst some parents, teachers and librarians that if a book is about farting (yes, be proud and say that F-word!) then it must be crude and unsuitable for kids. Unfortunately, this misguided and probably misinformed (don't judge a book by the F-word alone, at least read it before deciding whether it is inappropriate) will mean that it may not find its way into the hands of kids who will find it laugh-out-loud funny from beginning to end.

I'm not at all ashamed to admit that even in adulthood I find a well timed or great sounding trump pretty damn hilarious, and so I guess there was always a good chance that I would find this book funny (I still find that scene in Blazing Saddles more than a little amusing). I think some people forget that the master himself, Roald Dahl, did not shy away from making good use of farts to add humour to his story in The BFG, and instead assume that children's literature is being dumbed down when bottom burps are mentioned in stories these days. Seriously? Can these adults not remember how funny it was when little Billy/Jimmy/add-name-as-appropriate accidentally let one rip in Miss (insert name)'s (insert subject) lesson at school? It's a fact of life that kids (both boys and girls, though girls are possibly less likely to admit it) find farts funny, and therefore are quite likely to gravitate towards reading a book that is clearly about this wonderful subject.

The Fabulous Phartlehorn is a delight to read, and author M.L. Peel (the M stands for Megan, by the way, before you go assuming that only a guy could write about these sort of things) takes her readers on a completely bonkers adventure, accompanied by a host of daft characters. It is not at all crude, but just very funny in a typically British kind of way. There is plenty here for younger readers, with the book read to them (complete with sound effects?) by a parent or older sibling (a perfect chance for families to read and laugh together), as well as having enough word play to keep older, more confident readers engaged.

Scattered throughout the book are a number of illustrations by the wonderful Hannah Shaw (long time readers of this blog may remember that she also illustrated another Book Zone favourite series - Ivan Brett's Casper Candlewacks books). As ever, there are just enough of Hannah's illustrations to add to the hilarity of the story without ever distracting from the flow of the story (one of my favourites appears on pg 127, as Strudel, daughter of the Duke of Phartesia, demonstrates the playing of the phartlehorn with a look of sublime concentration on her face).




I can't sign off without wondering out loud as to whether some of the inspiration for the story was the life of a very real Frenchman called Joseph Pujol aka Le Pétomane, whose story I first came across at the cinema, in the days when main features were preceded by a shorter film, in this case a short starring Leonard Rossiter as the eponymous bottom musician). Whatever the inspiration though, this book is well worth getting into the hands of an 8+ reader, reluctant or otherwise, but do be prepared to listen to constant giggling for the duration of the read.

My thanks go to Liz Scott and Walker Books for sending me a copy to read.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds great! I haven't read my copy yet but I will - I like a good funny book about farts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  3. MY STORY HERE IS REAL AND GENUINE. My name is Adams Vienna and i am here to testify about Great Mother who brought back my man to me when he broke up with me because of another woman who he met at his place of work. Great Mother is a very powerful, real and unique woman with special powers. I tried to get help from many places and sources to bring back my man but nothing worked but when i contacted Great Mother, she made me smile again by bringing my man back to me with her special powers.. If you are experiencing any problems in your marriage, relationship, and you have any similar problem to this, contact this Great Woman now she will help you. Here is her website: Ourgreatmother1.com   and here is her email address: Greatmotherofsolutiontemple1@yahoo.com   and you can also contact her now on her own Whatsapp number: +17025514367 You can either contact her on her website, email or her whatsapp number. Thank you Great Mother.  

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAVE YOU EVER BEEN SCAMMED BEFORE ?
    WATCH PRECINCT CYBER SECURITY
    if you have ever been scanned before for an unfulfilled job and you are looking to recover those lost funds or you want to keep and eye on that unfaithful partner, increase your credit score, clear a record, improve your grades or looking to get a blank ATM card or invest in crypto with less risk and high reward? Watchprecinct@gmail.com Is here for you. What ever the job, if it's hacking we've got you covered. Just send us an email today at watchprecinct@gmail.com and we'll get it done. Let us put your worries to rest.
    Think hack think watchprecinct@gmail.com and our dedicated team of hackers will get it done in a heartbeat
    Looking forward to the excitement if working for you and with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cared about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the Internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr OKU can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Two days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family and I are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr OKU. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his Email: (okutemple@gmail.com) or WhatsApp him (+2348163425519).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel so blessed again in my marriage after Doctor Oku brought back my husband that separated with me for good 3 months. Even though I have mouths all over my body, it won't be enough to thank Doctor Oku for his help in my life. My husband separated with me for 3 months and has been in pain and agony without him. So, I searched for help everywhere but nothing worked out not until I meant Doctor Oku who I contacted online. I explained my situation to him and he promised that my husband will get back to me within 24 to 48 hours so that my heart still beats for him. I believed in him and he prepared a spell for me and my husband called me exactly when Doctor Oku said. He pleaded and said he needs me back and now we are living happily again for the past 9 months. Everyone out there reading my article that needs help should contact him... Email: okutemple@gmail.com or call +2347053113465

    ReplyDelete