Pages

Friday, 1 November 2013

November is Under 14's Only Month on The Book Zone


Over the past six months or so I've become pretty jaded with YA. That's not to say that I haven't read any stunning YA books in 2013 as there have been some absolute crackers, including: Department 19: Battle Lines by Will Hill, The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch, ACID by Emma Pass and The Glass Republic by Tom Pollock. These are all very special books that I was very excited about reading prior to their release, and all have since become big contenders for my Book of the Year (except Tom as he won it last year).

However, apart from this handful of YA books and a few gems, in 2013 I've been much more into books for the U14s (what our friends across the Atlantic would refer to as Middle Grade), and it really saddens me that books in this category do not receive the same level of press attention that YA books do (and I'm including bloggers in this). I'm happy to report though that several Twitter conversations in recent months have shown me that I am not alone in feeling this way.

U14's Only Month was a feature started by my good friend Liz de Jager (ex of My Favourite Books blog and soon to be published writer), and it is with her blessing that I have resurrected U14's Only Month and brought it over to The Book Zone. If I can drag Liz away from her own writing for a few minutes I may be able to persuade her to write a guest piece for us at some point. We will also be joined by Sarah, another My Favourite Books stalwart, who has kindly offered to write a guest review for us (watch this space).

I want to feature as many books for U14s as possible this month, so please do not expect my usual rambling and overly verbose reviews as these days work pressures do not permit me to write a month's worth of lengthy reviews. This is all about raising awareness of the huge number of amazing books for younger readers that are being published every month, but are often overlooked by the reviewing press.

Enjoy!


3 comments:

  1. I'm very excited about this (as you already know!). I agree that it's frustrating how little coverage the true MG/U14 books get. It's frustrating to have a book you love and you put up a review of it but because it's MG it gets very few responses. There are so many great books out there that people need to know about. Some days I think I should ONLY review MG and nothing else.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the U14 designation. It's more precise than "middle grade", although still pretty wide range! I'll be interested to see what you review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ENJOYED THE BOOK STREET HEROES BY JOE LAYBURN!!

    ReplyDelete