Pages

Wednesday 13 November 2013

Guest Post - My Top 10 Series for Under 14s by Jenny from Wondrous Reads

Today, as part of Under 14s Only Month, we are joined by blogging royalty - the rather brilliant Jenny whose Wondrous Reads blog is one of the most popular YA book blogs in the UK. Wondrous reads is my first port of call when I'm sorting out the book orders for school as my knowledge of books that mainly appeal to girls is very limited. However, Jenny doesn't just read and review YA as like me she is also a big fan of books for younger readers and so I was overjoyed when she volunteered to write a guest piece for my Under 14s Only Month, and even more so when she asked if she could tell us about her Top 10 Series for the Under 14s. 


Over to Jenny:

I'm a big fan of U14 fiction so I was excited to hear about Darren's whole month dedicated to it. It's an area of children's fiction that can appeal to kids and adults alike, and a good chunk of it is hilariously funny and as entertaining as any YA or adult book. I've made a list of my top 10 U14 series by both UK and US authors, all of which I've read and can heartily recommend. I hope you find a new series to get addicted to!

In no particular order:


1. The Raven Mysteries by Marcus Sedgwick


There are six books in this darkly comedic series and I love them all. I've never laughed so much while reading any book, and I'm still really sad that the series is over. It's narrated by a raven called Edgar, who looks out for the Otherhand family who live at Castle Otherhand. It's absolutely crazy but hilariously so. Marcus Sedgwick is a bit of a genius, I think!


2. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis


Narnia is one of my little obsessions. I collect different editions of the books and the recent trilogy of films is among my all-time favourites.  Although this series was written quite a long time ago, in the 50s, it still holds up today and continues to be widely read.  I like these stories so much because they're magical, with heroes and heroines and a whole selection of fantasy creatures like fauns and centaurs and talking animals. Every time I re-read one of the books, I feel like Narnia really could exist somewhere, and that maybe my wardrobe is magic after all...


3. Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling


I couldn't write this post and not mention Harry now, could I? I won't ramble on too much because I'm sure you're all fans yourself, but I will say that surely this has to be the best children's series ever written? (Even though I've cheated a bit because the later books are darker and more suitable for older teenagers). I think epic is the word. (Book Zone edit: I am so pleaseed to see Harry Potter mentioned here. It annoys me when the series as a whole so often gets labelled as YA when the first four books are definitely aimed at U14s).


4. Dork Diaries by Rachel Renee Russell


Dork Diaries is the best U14 series for girls that I've come across so far. It's fast, funny and brilliantly illustrated by the author. Just like Diary of a Wimpy Kid, it's written in diary format by Nikki, who chronicles her life growing up and encountering everything teen girls go through. I can't wait for the next book to be published!


5. Scream Street by Tommy Donbavand


Scream Street is one of those series that I wished would never end. There are thirteen books in total, but even that isn't enough. This series is about werewolf Luke, vampire Resus and mummy Cleo. They're on a mission to retrieve six ancient relics left by the founding fathers of Scream Street, and each book is a fantastic supernatural adventure story. 


6. Guardians of Childhood by William Joyce


I'm a huge fan of the Rise of the Guardians film and was very excited to find that there's a series of books connected with it. They do differ from the film, but were written alongside it and tell the early stories of North, Bunnymund, Toothiana and the Sandman. They're action-packed and brilliantly illustrated, perfect for anyone who enjoyed the film and wants to know more about these fascinating characters!


7. The Famous Five by Enid Blyton


Enid Blyton's Famous Five series is another classic that's still in print today. I read these when I was little and basically devoured them faster than my mum and dad could buy them. Julian was my absolute favourite character, though I also had a soft spot for Timmy the dog. I think every child should read these books: they're the best adventure stories out there!


8. Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder by Jo Nesbo


This series is SO funny. I laughed out loud numerous times and was surprised that Jo Nesbo, kind of crime fiction, could be so good at writing for a younger audience.  It is the story of an eccentric inventor and a boy with a very small head, Nilly, and their ensuing madcap capers. I'd really recommend this one to readers who like their books to be a bit daft, but beware: you'll be clutching your sides in fits of laughter. (Book Zone edit: I also totally love the Doctor Proctor books - watch this space for my review of the series)


9. The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black


The Spiderwick Chronicles is a series I didn't read until a couple of years ago, but is one that I'm glad I tried. It's about faeries of all shapes and sizes, and what happens when the Grace children move into the old Spiderwick Mansion. Along with the faeries, there's also goblins and other such creatures. Brilliant!


10. Goosebumps by R.L. Stine


Goosebumps was my other favourite series when I was younger, along with The Famous Five. I've always been a fan of horrid, creepy stuff (vampires in particular) so this series was perfect. I haven't read any of the newer titles, though I read every single book in the original series published in the 90s. I still have a copy of Vampire Breath, which I may need to read again one day. Goosebumps is undoubtedly, in my opinion, the best  horror series for children!

~~~

Huge thanks to Jenny for writing this for us. I am ashamed to admit that there are a couple of series on there that I am yet to read, including The Raven Mysteries, which I need to get my hands on immediately.


41 comments:

  1. Ya thats true every one wants narnia to turn into reality. Book is much better than the movie though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't knew there is a book on rise of the guardian. Got to pick it up to know if there are some plot twists. Thanks for the post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mcafee.com/activate – Get your Mcafee Activate Installed & download with the help of this link. You may install the Mcafee with the help of this link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Norton.com/setup Online Help – To enable this protection for your Windows or Mac PC, all you need to do is download, install and activate the Norton Setup. But, before you start with the downloading process, remember to uninstall the already installed security software or antivirus (if any) from your device. This is mandatory to avoid any software conflict issue.

    norton.com/setup

    Norton Reinstall – Norton propounded a Norton reinstall and removal tool which helps you to remove the previous version of your Norton Product from your system or device. Norton is a well-known brand for its comprehensive security tools like Norton Internet Security,

    norton-reinstall

    www.webroot.com/safe – Activate Your Webroot Safe today by just visiting Webroot.com/Safe as installing Webroot is a snap.www.webroot.com/safe You may download, open, enter keycode & get protected by Webroot Com Safe.

    www.webroot.com/safe

    office.com/setup Help – Step-by-Step guide for Microsoft Office – Activate, Donwload & complete installation from office.com/setup online. We are providing independent support service if in case you face problem to activate or install Microsoft office product.

    office.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the sharing article. I have been reading your articles and they are really very helpful for me.

    visit:
    Hotmail customer care number

    ReplyDelete
  7. Disclaimer: www.activation-kaspersky.com is an independent support provider on On-Demand Technical Services For Kaspersky products. Use Of Kaspersky Name, logo, trademarks & Product Images is only for reference and in no way intended to suggest that www.activation-kaspersky.com has any business association with Kaspersky trademarks,Names,logo and Images are the property of their respective owners, www.activation-kaspersky.com disclaims any ownership in such conditions.

    activation-kaspersky.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Do you know what? You are simply great, just like that you put your finger on it. Thank you very much. Without your help, my problem could not be resolved. Thanks again Amazon help number. : +1-855-424-9807

    Amazon Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  10. Customer satisfaction is our primary goal. The Cash App support number will help you to fix Cash App related problems. If you have any query just contact us: +1-855-504-2121
    Cash App Support Number

    Cash App Support Service

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cash app Support number is the best online solution for your queries. I was one day trouble. I did not understand what I would do. Cash App customer support number took care of all my queries. +1(855)504-2121

    Cash App Customer Service

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Friends, I am Amy Jones live in New York (USA). I am provides technical information for the users. If you are using and facing some technical problems then you can take some help from Coinbase support team. Our Support Number: +1-855-504-2315.

    coinbase Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  13. +1(855)-424-9819 is the toll-free number you can call this number to solve your problem which comes with Bittrex account.
    https://www.optcustomerservice.com/bittrex-support-number.html

    Bittrex Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  14. +1(855)-504-2278 Zelle tech support number helps the user to solve the Zelle issues with a single phone call. It is an extremely user-friendly way to use for all the features and services are very easy to understand and use. Call us on our toll-free Zelle support number.
    https://www.zellesupportnumber.com
    https://www.zellesupportnumber.com/zelle.html

    https://www.zellecustomerservice.zellesupportnumber.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Did you face any problem in your Coinbase account? if yes then you call us on toll-free number +1(855)-504-2315. Coinbase customer service will solve your problem immediately.
    https://classifieds.panbo.com/viewlisting.php?view=688
    Coinbase Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  16. If you want to create an account on Zelle then you contact us toll-free number Zelle Support Number +1(855)-504-2278..
    https://zellecustomerservice.8b.io
    Zelle Customer Service

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you are unable to withdraw your money from coinbase then you can call our toll-free number +1(855)-504-2315 or visit our coinbase customer service.
    https://www.coinbasecustomerservice.coinbasesupportphonenumber.com/
    Coinbase Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any Problem In your Bittrex account then dials Bittrex Support Number +1(855)-424-9819 get instant help from Bittrex technical Experts Bittrex Customer care 24/7.Have you needed to contact Bittrex about an issue you're having? Bittrex doesn't have any address dedicated to providing customer support. We give you the best Bittrex Support Number. Visit here Help Center +1(855)-424-9819.
    https://www.apneecommunity.com/classifieds/bittrex-support-number-1855-424-9819-phone-number/

    Bittrex Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  19. If you are facing any of the above issues or any other issues concerning the Coinbase exchange platform, you can dial the Coinbase support number which is always ready to assist you in the finest way.+1(855)504-2315


    coinbase Customer Service Number

    ReplyDelete
  20. If you are looking for a reliable and instant solution, you can dial the toll-free number for coin base support. If it can you are unable to dial the number you can reach Binance Support through email, chat and even messages for an instant solution to your problems+1-855-424-9821


    Binance Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  21. If you are facing Binance related problems and want to get support service, you can dial our third-party toll-free Binance customer support number +1-888-330-0764. Our support team is 24/7 available for users to provide the best support.
    https://binancesupportus.blogspot.com/
    Binance support number

    ReplyDelete
  22. Did you face any problem in your Google Pay? I have a solution to solve your problem immediately you can call our toll-free number ++1-888-330-0764..here solve your all issue comes in Google Pay
    https://www.onesearchpoint.com/googlepay-customer-service
    Google Pay Customer Care Number

    ReplyDelete
  23. Zelle Support is online mobile wallet for an online transaction if any issue Get quick and accessible help from the executive at the Zelle Customer Service to solve all the problems related to your Zelle account.



    Zelle Customer Service Number

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm impressed with your site, it helps us a lot and is useful. I always thank you for sharing the best article post, giving you such good tips and suggestions. Visit:- HP Printer Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  25. Google Pay provides its customers with a wide range of Google Pay Customer Care No that can be contacted for 24*7 toll-free services. To Get in touch with Google Pay Customer Care executives please dial the below-given numbers


    Google Pay Customer Service Number

    ReplyDelete
  26. I want to tell you that I am new to weblog and definitely like this blog site. It is very possible that I am going to bookmark your blog. You have amazing stories. Thanks for sharing the best article post.
    HP Printer Support

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is a great inspirational article. I am very happy with your good work. You have really given very useful information. Thanks for sharing the best article post.
    Zelle Support Number

    ReplyDelete
  28. Welcome to Zelle Support Number, hey Guys you face some technical issue like add account; send money, Requested money so please Call Us our customer support service:


    Zelle Customer Service Number

    ReplyDelete
  29. The Norton licence key XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX is a numeric-letters in order code accompany Norton’s membership. Go to the rear of membership card and locate your 25 digits code. Utilization of Norton item key at norton.com/setup
    to confirm your membership.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thankyou for sharing all of the usefull information i found this article to
    be be usefull will come back to learn more...norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  31. thankyou for sharing such amazing info
    on how to download and setup your protection
    with step by step instruction guide...
    norton.com/setup

    ReplyDelete
  32. McAfee Antivirus Tools are developed by Symantec Corporation, provides a complete Anti-Virus suite for PCs.o to your McAfee Antivirus software and Open it. · Enter the 25 digits alpha-numeric product key that was mailed to you
    www.mcafee.com/activate
    mcafee.com.com/activate"
    <a href="https://mcafee-activation.com/>mcafee activation</a>

    ReplyDelete
  33. Do you need an urgent loan of any kind? Loans to liquidate debts or need to loan to improve your business have you been rejected by any other banks and financial institutions? Do you need a loan or a mortgage? This is the place to look, we are here to solve all your financial problems. We borrow money for the public. Need financial help with a bad credit in need of money. To pay for a commercial investment at a reasonable rate of 3%, let me use this method to inform you that we are providing reliable and helpful assistance and we will be ready to lend you. Contact us today by email: daveloganloanfirm@gmail.com Call/Text: +1(501)800-0690 And whatsapp: +1 (501) 214‑1395

    NEED A LOAN?
    Ask Me.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. Therefore, I would like to thank you for your efforts in writing this article. Thanks for sharing the best article post. 3 BHK Apartment for Sale in Uttam Nagar Delhi

    ReplyDelete
  35. My husband Left me after years of our marriage, He started the spiritual prayer on my husband, and gave me so much assurance and guaranteed me that he was going to bring my husband back to my feet in just 48 hours of the prayer. I was so confident in his work and just as he said in the beginning, my husband is finally back to me again, yes he is back with all his hearts, Love, care, emotions and flowers and things are better now. I would have no hesitation to recommend him to anybody who is in need of help..(R.buckler11 @ Gmail. com)…... .......................

    ReplyDelete