Pages

Friday 28 October 2011

Attention Grabber #3: Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve

Attention Grabber is my new weekly feature where I post what I think is a great opening paragraph to a book, the sort of opening that pulls young readers in and hooks them from the start.

This week's Attention Grabber comes from Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve. It was suggested by a couple of other bloggers, but it is so great that I already had it on my list for this feature anyway. It is possibly one of the shortest Attention Grabbers that will appear on The Book Zone, but when I first read it I had one of those almost sit-com-like double takes just to check that I had read it correctly. How could anyone not read on after this first sentence?

It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea.


4 comments:

  1. By far my favourite of opening sentences, ever. It just paints a perfect picture of the series within one sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this series; so original. They should make the movie of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, but what about the others books?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing with us your wonderful knowledge website keep it up
    xanax for sale

    ReplyDelete