Pages

Monday 14 May 2012

Use The Avengers To Get Your Son Reading


Last year I wrote a blog post about how I had gone to see Batman Live at the O2 Arena, and how I thought that it was a great way to get boys into reading. Now The Avengers movie is here (Avengers Assemble in the UK), and it can be used in a similar way. All the kids at school are talking about this film, boys and girls from Year 7 all the way up to Sixth Form, and I have not yet come across one that didn't love it. Since the film's release we have seen boys who rarely set foot in the library coming in to read the various Marvel books we stock, and even reserving them if they are already out on loan. I have therefore put an order in with the local School Library Service for another pile of Marvel books, hoping to capitalise on the film's success, and I strongly suggest you do similarly, especially if you have a boy who is not keen on reading.

Starting tomorrow with a review of a brilliant book from Dorling Kindersley, and then over the next fortnight I intend to post a handful of reviews of books that tie in with the film, directly or indirectly. Books that could ignite that spark in a boy's mind and lead to them wanting to read comics and graphic novels, and hopefully one day novels and non-fiction, so please watch this space.



2 comments:

  1. I shall endeavour to check in daily. what a great idea :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let the vultures on the local rag get wind of a school "wasting" money on "mere comics"!

    ReplyDelete