Pages

Thursday 3 May 2012

News: Bookstart 20



I received an email today from the lovely people at Booktrust, asking if I would help promote their Bookstart 20 celebration with a short blog post. How could I say now? The Booktrust do fantastic work promoting reading for enjoyment not just for children, but for people of all ages, and I have seen first hand the impact their Booked Up! scheme has had on some of the children at school. Sadly due to funding cuts Booked Up is no longer, but Bookstart, the scheme whereby free books are given to babies, toddler and 3-year olds, is alive and kicking, and we want to keep it that way.

Booktrust are asking you to make a simple pledge: to share 20 books in 2012. You can do this in a number of ways:

- reading picture books with your own children or other members of your family at bedtime or at anytime!

- reading to a group of children in a school or a library; 

- joining a reading group;

- recommending books to your friends; 

- posting a book review on a website.

Naturally I have now made my pledge to Bookstart 20, and I hope that you will head on over to the Bookstart 20 website here and do the same. Obviously, making a pledge like this is quite easy for a blogger, and someone who occasionally reads to pupils in lessons, but I will dedicate twenty of my reviews this year to the Bookstart 20 programme, so watch out for the Bookstart 20 pledge button.



No comments:

Post a Comment