Pages

Friday 4 March 2011

News: Book Covers - Artemis Fowl rebranding

Today, Eoin Colfer, the author of the brilliant Artemis Fowl books, met up in Picadilly Circus with a group of young fans in order to unveil the new cover designs for his books on a giant electronic screen. Mr Colfer has since blogged each of these covers and so I wanted to share them with readers of The Book Zone. I have to admit that I do hate it when publishers rebrand books mid-series as from an aesthetic point of view I like my collection to be of a consistent design, and with one more book in the series promised I do wonder whether they could have waited until after its publication. However, it is ten years since the first book appeared on shelves across the country, and a celebration of this is most definitely merited. Oh yes, and if I am honest I do actually really like these new covers and I think they will look great as a set; they certainly depict Artemis as someone who you really would not like to get on the wrong side of. What do you think?








9 comments:

  1. They could brand him with a boy's name instead of a girl's for a start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think boys in particular will find the covers pretty cool, as Artemis looks like somebody who they could be - and would really quite like to be, probably, at times!

    Of course, it's always a problem when a cover has to depict a well-known character because different readers will have formed their own idea of what the character should look like. (I mean in the case of detailed drawings like this - the original Harry Potter covers got around it by only using a smallish cartoon-like image of Harry.)

    Anyway, these have a great "brand consistency" (ghastly term, but there you are) and they will make a great set. I like them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greate article. Keep writing such kind of information on your page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remarkable! Its truly remarkable piece of writing,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have got much clear idea about from this paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a topic wgich is close tto my heart...

    ReplyDelete