Monday, 9 February 2015

Guest Post: My Magnificent Seven Animals in Children’s Books by Abi Elphinstone

It is with great pleasure that today I am welcoming Abi Elphinstone to The Book Zone. Abi is the writer of the brilliant The Dreamsnatcher, which I reviewed last month, and also a fellow lover of middle grade books which she blogs about as Moontrug. Abi has joined us today to tell us about her favourite animals in children's books.

My Magnificent Seven Animals in Children’s Books

1. The Whereabouts Wolf in The Black North by Nigel McDowell. One of my favourite heroines, Oona, is given a Whereabouts Wolf to carry her away from danger: ‘a creature flecked with filth and reeking of the wild’. A Whereabouts Wolf has no eyes – Oona must simply whisper where she wants to go and the wolf will take her there. So when Oona says ‘take us to the middle of nowhere,’ that’s exactly what the Whereabouts Wolf does. I want one…

2. Aslan in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis. One of my favourite childhood memories is watching the BBC adaption of this brilliant book around the fire with my siblings at Christmas. The opening theme tune conjures all the magic of my childhood and I fell asleep every night after listening to it imagining I was riding through Narnia on Aslan’s back. I liked the way Aslan was kind and loyal – that he never let the Pevensie children down – but that he was unpredictable and wild as well, as Mr Beaver said: ‘He’s wild, you know. Not like a tame lion’. And that’s kind of how I imagine magic to be. 

3. Iorek Brynison in Northern Lights by Philip Pullman. This was a tricky one. Whilst Lyra’s daemon, Pantalaimon, remains one of my all-time favourite characters, there is something about this ‘outcast bear’ who rises up to be a mighty ice warrior, willing to protect Lyra against the slightest harm. And nothing beats the wonder of imagining Lyra riding Iorek across the Arctic ice plains.

4. Wolf in Wolf Brother by Michelle Paver. Torak’s bond with Wolf is one of the most well-drawn, touching and believable child-animal bonds in children’s literature. Wolf begins as a reticent, playful cub but as he takes up his place as Torak’s best-friend and ally, he becomes a brave, loyal and fierce wolf. And the closing chapter of this book shows the wolf-boy bond in a heartbreakingly beautiful way.

5. The White Pigeon in The Last Wild by Piers Torday. This little bird is basically ME in pigeon form – a misdirected ball of enthusiasm, often saying exactly the wrong thing at the wrong time. His malapropisms are laugh-out-loud funny and hopelessly confused lines like ‘Here is your gift – some old sheep’ and ‘Not a bad-looking fat bird yourself’ cement this little chap as a truly memorable character. And it’s comforting to find someone else (even if this someone is a fictional pigeon) whose words tumble out all wrong – because I stutter and mix up words quite a lot, especially when I’m nervous.

6. Saracen in Fly By Night by Frances Hardinge. Without doubt the most amusing goose in children’s books. Owned by the feisty Mosca Mye (‘I want my chirfugging goose back!’), Saracen makes a star appearance at the beast fight disguised as King Prael’s Star-crested eagle. Brilliantly funny.

7. Snow Leopard in The Snow Leopard by Jackie Morris. In a world where we move at 100mph through almost everything we do (yesterday I was moving so fast I ran full pelt into a glass door), the Snow Leopard draws you away to a half-forgotten world of peace and silence. The illustrations of this big cat are mesmerisingly beautiful and snow leopards remain one of my all-time favourite animals.

It was so hard to pick just seven animals for this blog post. I mean, I could have gone on for ages about Joe (from The Diddakoi), Hazel (from Watership Down), Eeyore (from Winnie the Pooh), Charles Scallybones (from A Boy Called Hope), Havoc (from The Burning Shadow) Tarka The Otter, The Ugly Duckling and, ummmmm, one more animal I’m very fond of: Gryff, the wildcat in my debut, The Dreamsnatcher. He is fearless, loyal and patient and although he is by nature a solitary animal full of secrets, he forms an extraordinary bond with Moll, a twelve-year-old gypsy girl. And that’s kind of cool.


Super huge thanks to Abi for writing this for The Book Zone. The Dreamsnatcher is due to be published on 26th February, and it's flippin' brilliant.


  1. Hi everyone, I sincerely hope my post gets read and hopefully helps somebody along the line.i will never forget the help the GREAT ILLUOBE render to me in my marital life.The only person that i can boldly say he can cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and any other kind of disease like CANCER,HIV/AIDS,LOW SPERM COUNT,MENOPAUSE DISEASE, ALS know as ( Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) and can also solve any relationship problem is this great herbalist man called Dr ILLUOBE. Friends your case is not too hard why don’t you give The GREAT ILLUOBE a try and let him work surprises because i know he will cure you of the disease and also help bring back your WIFE or HUSBAND that has left you as the case may be. You can contact him via web( email: or call or whatsapp +2348077357453

  2. The greatesst joy in my life now is that my love life has been restored by this great man and the best i can do now is to tell the whole world about this great man. This great man helped me when i had problem with my boyfriend and now my boyfriend is back in my arms if you are out there and you need a right place to solve your relationship problems contact this great man Dr Ogudugu is the right choice. He is a great man that have been casting spells with years of experience and he cast spells for different purposes like
    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2)To cure Hiv/Aids.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)If you want a child.

    Contact him today on his Email:

  3. These comments you see on the internet about DR ONOFE are not just comments, they are truthful words of experience written by those who have been there and found help in reuniting with the ones they hold dear to their heart and other marital and financial problems. I can tell you this because I also asked him for help to cast a love spell to fix my relationship with the only man I have ever loved. we got married but couldn't have a baby and then I discovered my womb was damaged. I had to try some spell casters but to no avail until I contacted DR ONOFE. HE restored my womb and just like that i got pregnant,i have given birth now and our baby is growing. Thank God for our lives and also to DR ONOFE who God has used to blessed us. I know that not everybody will believe this moreover its just something on the internet but my heart knows every of this word that formed this entire comment is true. his contact is: or website:

    I am Bella from Brazil,i am saying this to the world that my husband who left me for the past 2 years is back home. All this happened with the help of dr keshie a powerful spell caster.
    For those 2 years my husband left me, i was not myself and i felt this life had come to an end all because i love my husband so much and would do anything needed from me just to have him back. Anything i did to bring him back was not working it was seeming each time i tried to have him back the further he was going away from me i was hopeless and helpless until one day i saw a testimony of Ruth saying how the great dr keshie brought back her ex lover. I was not convinced though. but as time went on i kept on seeing more testimonies about dr keshie and i said to myself with a strong faith of mind, it will be a thing of the past if i contact this man. I contacted him really on his email; I explained myself to him, what he said was so surprising to the extent i was kind of happy even when my husband was not back yet, this was what he said to me"he doesn't collect fund, what he needs is giving testimonies like this and giving him little to buy items for casting the spell for help needy like me, then i did accordingly to what he asked me. Behold everybody, i still can not believe now my husband is with me after all that happened between me and him because i thought he would not call me his sweet names again, truly when he left me i had many things on my mind of negative that i would murder myself if this great man dr keshie could not help me, which he did, why am i saying all this is because i thought he wasn't real and he couldn't bring my husband back to me because then, i didn't believe it was true bringing one's love back on the internet; what is surprising me to this time is, in not more than 3 days after casting the spell my husband who swore with his life that he would never come back to me again, came back not only that, kneeling down begging me he shouldn't have left me at first.Till now we are never having any mis-understanding again because we now get to understand each other. Even before my husband left, we had little problem on coping in the family because no enough fund which i also complained of and explained to him; after all, when dr keshie brought him back everything changed and now we are building our other house as am testifying now, my two daughters are now in the higher school that they were not before because we now live financially well. All i want to say is thanks and i know is not enough for him but nevertheless, great thanks to THE GREAT DRKESHIE for the help he rendered me if you need help in your Marriage, relationship and even he told me he solves any problem so here his email Address,, so contact him and see his awesome powers.To me he's a clue to one's problem.

  5. Life can be very displeasing especially when we loose the ones we love and cherish so much. in this kind of situation where one loses his/her soul mate there are several dangers engage in it. one may no longer be able to do the things he was doing before then success will be very scarce and happiness will be rare. that person was created to be with you for without him things may fall apart. That was my experience late last year. but thank god today i am happy with him again. all thanks to DR Henry Olu, i was nearly loosing hope until i saw an article on how DR Henry Olu could cast a love spell to make lovers come back. There is no harm in trying, i said to my self. i contacted him via email: words will not be enough to appreciate what he has done for me. i have promised to share the good news as long as i live.\"

  6. I’m giving a testimony about Dr Osemudiamen the great Herbalist man, he has the cure to all manner of diseases, he cured my herpes simplex virus, though I went through different website. I saw different testimonies about different spell casters and herbalist, I was like: ‘Many people’s have the herpes simplex virus cure why are people still suffering from it? I thought of it. Then I contacted Dr Osemudiamen via email: I didn’t believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about me, then I sent them to him, he prepared it (CURE) and sent it to me Fed-ex delivery, he gave my details to the FedEx Office, they told me that 2-3 days I will receive the parcel and i took the medicine as prescribed by him and I went for check-up 2 weeks after finishing the medicine, I was tested herpes simplex virus negative. if you are herpes simplex virus patient do me a favor by you contacting him and I assure anyone who is suffering it, your problem will never remain the same again you will be cured. Also Dr Osemudiamen help my sisters husband to cure his HIV/AIDS he was suffering from for the past 3 years. After he cured my herpes simplex virus, then my sister heard about it, she went home to tell her husband about Dr Osemudiamen then her husband emailed him and explained his problem to him. He also prepare herbal medicine and he use fed-ex delivery to sent him the herbal medicine and he instruct him on how he will be using it for 14 days. That on the 15 day of it, he should go and check his self in the hospital and he did as he was instructed by Dr Osemudiamen. To GOD be the glory he was cured of his HIV/AIDS which he was suffering from for the past 3 years thanks to these great man we will ever remain grateful to you Sir indeed might work you did in our families. When you contact him, make sure you tell him that I refer you.. contact him via: