Pages

Friday 4 January 2013

New Year Reading Resolutions

When I wrote my Happy New Year post yesterday I had intended to include my 2013 reading and book-related resolutions. I'm not generally someone who makes New Year resolutions, as I prefer to believe that if I want to do something or make changes in my life then I can do this at any time of the year, and shouldn't put things off to the beginning of a new year. However, this year I have decided that there are some things I want to get done as far as reading and this blog is concerned, and if I don't make them public then I possibly won't stick to them. And so, in no particular order:


  1. This year I want to re-read my original 1970s/1980s copies of Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books (well, the ones that I read as a kid, first published in the 1970s, which is books 1-30). These were my favourite books as a 9+ year old and I recently re-read The Secret of Terror Castle, and my love for the series has not diminished with age, and it is far too long since I read them. I may even try to track down #31-43 which I have never read.
  2. I want to read more adult books this year. As I have mentioned before, last year I came to a point where blogging started to feel like a chore. I got myself out of this funk by using the school summer holidays to catch up on a lot of the adult books that I had bought but had sat lonely and unread on my shelves. This year I want to avoid the 'chore' feeling again, and so I will make sure that at least one book in four that I read will be adult, and probably won't be reviewed. There are some pretty amazing adult books due out this year that I am very excited about. One of them, The Hunters by Chris Kuzneski, arrived in the post this morning, but I am also really looking forward to reading the new books from Neil Gaiman and Joe Hill that are scheduled for release later in 2013.
  3. I want to read more adult science fiction this year. I loved Jack Glass by Adam Roberts, and have recently been reading classics like Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep and Minority Report for the first time. And I want more!
  4. I will try to review more of the books that I read. Last year there were far too many that got read but, due to work pressures, never got reviewed on my blog. Everyone one of them received a starred review on Goodreads, but I have higher expectations of myself, and my report for last year read "Can do better"!
  5. Last year I bought a large number of graphic novels - some of them new, some of them were great finds in charity shops or car boot sales - but far too many of them have still not been read. Although I intend to continue buying them, I won't be buying anywhere near as many, and instead will be focusing on reading the ones that are already in my collection.
  6. And finally, saving the most important one until last, I want to get a shift on with my own writing. this is not something I have mentioned on here before, and only a very small number of people know that I have been doing some writing of my own. I successfully took part in NaNoWriMo back in 2011, but have not added a great deal to the 50,000+ words I wrote back then. I also have a pile of notebooks containing various ideas and the beginnings of plot outlines, and 2013 is the year I will stop making 'work pressures' excuses and do something about it. Yes, the ideas are for children's and YA books - how could I write for anyone else? My only worry is that this blog might suffer.
And there you have it - come back in twelve months time to see how successful I have been.


17 comments:

  1. Good luck with your writing Darren. Some excellent resolutions in this list. I really need to do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is on my list of things to do- but it's so hard to find time. Good luck in all of these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my. I'd totally forgotten about the Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators books, I remember reading a few of those

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like reading, but after reading this I think I have to try this once. So for 2019 my New Year Resolution is that I will try to read more and more.
    New Year Shayari Images

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish you and all your readers a very Happy New Year 2019.
    New Year 2019

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for posting like this informative article. for more informationplease post like these more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! However, how can we communicate?
    Breakup Status

    ReplyDelete

  8. Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it is really informative.I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future.A lot of people will be benefited from your writing.Cheers!
    VTU Results

    ReplyDelete
  9. KineMaster is the best free video editing application. Now it is available on PC.
    If you have any struggle to download KineMaster for PC just visit this site.
    KineMaster for PC
    Kingroot for PC

    ReplyDelete
  10. Quality content is the secret to be a focus for the people to pay a quick visit the web page, that’s what this site is providing.
    VTU Question Papers

    ReplyDelete
  11. AKGVG & Associates is the best organization and team of accountant experts. We provide services like Gst Registration In Delhi Company Compliance & Advisory Services India Book Keeping & Accounting Fixed Asset Register (Far) Maintenance and FAR Updation In Software etc. Apart from this we also help Business to grow fast in 2021 with our business advisory firm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing website, Love it. Great work done.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pest Control Services in Delhi − Dolpphin is the world leader in pest control services. When you need us, we're always ready. Our expert technicians are committed to controlling pests and keeping your home protected. Call today for a quick response.

    ReplyDelete