Pages

Sunday 13 December 2009

My Top 20 Books Of The Decade - Part 2

On November 21st I posted the first part of my Top 20 books of this decade. I have now finally found the time to sit down and continue with the countdown. So..... counting down from number 10 to number 6:

10. The Talent Thief by Alex Williams



I don't think I need to write any more about this fantastic book that I haven't already written in my earlier review. Buy it now!

9. The Young Bond series by Charlie Higson



Some readers my argue that this series should at least be in my Top 5, and believe me when I say I have thought long and hard over this. The task of writing the early years story of the most famous spy in the world cannot have been an easy one, and Charlie Higson rose to the occasion admirably. If all five books had been of a consistently high quality then they would definitely have ranked higher on my list, but I wasn't particularly impressed with Blood Fever, and Hurricane Gold could have been better. In case you are wondering, Double Or Die is by far my favourite of the five books, closely followed by Silverfin and By Royal Command.

8. The Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve



Philip Reeve has an incredible imagination and his talent for world building is brilliant. I was hooked from the very first line of Mortal Engines, and who wouldn't be: "It was a dark, blustery afternoon in spring, and the city of London was chasing a small mining town across the dried-out bed of the old North Sea." Even friends who turn their noses up at my love for books written for "kids" (in their words) have loved reading this series. Mr Reeve should definitely be considered one of Fantasy's greats, along with Pratchett and Pullman.

7. The H.I.V.E. series by Mark Walden



Four books in this series so far, with the fifth (Rogue) due to be on the shelves in May 2010, and the quality so far is consistently high; in fact, these books just keep on getting better and better. Mark Walden is another author with a great imagination, and he uses it to create daring plot-twists and amazing hi-tech gadgets for the young 'villains' who feature in his stories. Action and adventure, with plenty of humour, fill every page of these books; the stories move at a fantastic pace, and these are perfect for reluctant boy readers.    


 6. The Joshua Files series by M.G. Harris 



With Zero Moment, the third book in the Joshua Files series, due for release in February I recently re-read Invisible City and Ice Shock to refresh myself of the story so far. Both books were just as good second time around (actually, third time for Invisible City). M.G. Harris has the ability to draw the reader right into the story from the very first chapter, and keep you there right up to the final line. Action, adventure, emotion and plot-twists galore will keep you reading well into the night!

2 comments:


  1. Thank you for this useful content, It’s a very useful content that helps me to complete my assignment at right time. I would like to write about my experience of Australian assignment help or online assignment help. I am an academic expert here who provides reference assignment including Accounting, Management, Finance, IT, Economics, Computer Science, Nursing, Marketing; all Academic subjects to University Students across Australia or even globe. We are a big online assignment help providers who help students to get HD grades according to assessment guidelines and instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cured from Herpes. Win Ex Back.. visit Robinsonbucler@gmail com]]..................................

    ReplyDelete